Desi Back to Desh

Between airports, airplanes and transit lounges

Quick question: How much should one pay for a peek at a real business plan

Just tweaking an idea that has been bothering me for the last few days? How much would you pay for a peek at a real business plan that picked up funding, investors and partners?

10 dollars, 30 dollars, 50 dollars or more. How much more?

The plan focuses on a technology and product business (so not a dry cleaner or deli) and includes all primary pieces required by an investor. While there are a number of sites with templates, I have rarely seen an startup founder open up and share the original plan for world domination. Would love some feedback and reactions?

9 Responses to “Quick question: How much should one pay for a peek at a real business plan”

• It depends on what business is showing its plan, and the similarity to my own startup. For example, while I might be interested in seeing any Y! Combinator startup, I might be ever more interested in if some Y! Combinator company was similar to mine.

• Nash says:

AoA Jawwad!

If you have a Business Plan and you’d think it could help an entrepreneur, then I strongly believe you should share it pro bono, free, libre, wiki it, give it away. Charging for it would be terrible. You see, entrepreneurs already have it really tough and any help/advice would be great. A business plan is a very weak way to help. I’m not a fan of Business Plans at all. I’m a *huge* fan of Business Models (how you reach your customer, whats your value proposition, what will they pay etc). A plan flows from the Model.

I don’t think I answered your original question, I don’t really know!

WS
    -Nash

• Jawwad says:

Thank you Nash. So if you ask me nicely I already give it away for free to all mentees who ask for it. This is more of a listing question on Learning Corporate Finance. There are two separate product, basic advice that is already available for free on Learning Corporate Finance packaged as a nicer downloadable pdf file for a few dollars and the copy of the Alchemy Technologies Business plan that to-date has raised about US$250,000 in angel funding.

The price tag is their for my ego and my some members of my el-cheapo competition that I know will never spend 49 dollars on anything that I would write :)

• Qazi Atiq says:

Jawwad, bare business plan would not be some thing valuable, however if you could do a review of why it succeeded vs some similar ones which failed that might add value.
    Also as JayWalker says above I would only pay for business plan which is in the same area of business, so for example i might not be willing to pay for a financial product business plan if I am making a product focusing on social marketing.

• Jawwad says:

Thank you Qazi. I guess I am looking for that one in a thousand visitor who would pay for a plan just to see what the plan looks like. And yes its available for free if you drop me a nice note

• Adnan says:

Hi & Aoa!

This is what Paul Graham had to say in one of his essays:

“Some angels, especially those with technology backgrounds, may be satisfied with a demo and a verbal description of what you plan to do. But many will want a copy of your business plan, if only to remind themselves what they invested in.

Our angels asked for one, and looking back, I’m amazed how much worry it caused me. “Business plan” has that word “business” in it, so I figured it had to be something I’d have to read a book about business plans to write. Well, it doesn’t. At this stage, all most investors expect is a brief description of what you plan to do and how you’re going to make money from it, and the resumes of the founders. If you just sit down and write out what you’ve been saying to one another, that should be fine.”

Also, he has posted the business plan of his original company here:

Hope that helps.

• Syed Talha Izhar says:

AoA,

To decide the price, its important to know who would want to take a look at a business plan. A Startup. And for startups the lower the cost, the better it sounds. 10 USD wouldn’t be that bad.

Thanks,

Talha

• Mohtashim says:

so what would someone give to say read the first 3 revisions of facebooks’s plan, or 3com’s plan, or even adobe’s plan. or fast forward, what would one give to read the very initial groupon business plan.or any company that you see on sharespost.com now … i think that sort of knowledge is very high value…and very hard to get. IF you could even get someone to part with it for a paltry sum that would be atleast 200 for a non downloadable pdf style view…just to see if you have a “quality” plan yourself..

why would anyone give this up though…maybe if they want to help, and if the firm has now gone public…and is maybe 5-6 years old and in series C, ie it doesnt need to prove its credibility …